University of Warwick IBRB construction: results recap
By using Powerproject construction planning software to prove and drive modern methodologies, Willmott Dixon was able to:
- Reduce on-site deliveries by 40% to cut the project’s carbon footprint
- Halve the number of on-site staff for a cost-efficient, socially distanced operation
- Deliver a 7,000 square metre five storey building on-schedule in just 118 weeks
- Easily manage the impact of setbacks including a delayed glazing delivery
- Expand its project management remit to coordinate the off-site construction supply chain
- Dynamically communicate project progress to build a transparent, trusted working relationship with the contractors and the university
- Create the University of Warwick’s most sustainable space on campus
And the icing on the cake: Nick Preedy won gold in the Higher Education category at the 2021 UK Construction Manager of the Year (CMYA) Awards.
Powerproject: a catalyst for change
Beyond being a modern, efficient way of managing the University of Warwick’s requirements, the IBRB project opened Willmott Dixon’s eyes to the wider potential of prefabricated assembly models.
Having proved he could deliver an award-winning project using new methodologies, Nick was given a position within Collida, Willmott Dixon’s integrated construction platform for sustainable design, procurement, delivery and maintenance using cutting-edge technology.
Nick’s new role includes looks after Willmott Dixon’s national network of manufacturing partners, strengthening off-site production by introducing planning and execution best practices.
“Many of the manufacturing companies I see wouldn’t have had any construction planning software in place two or three years ago. Now, they’re sitting in front of me presenting plans on Powerproject. We’ve come full circle.”
Nick’s new remit has also changed his use of Powerproject. Instead of putting together 12-18 month project timelines, he now produces day-by-day assembly guides to standardise the implementation of prefabricated construction products – from residential housing through to commercial buildings, schools and healthcare centres.
As each building is based on a pre-designed template, Nick’s work enables customers to see the full vision for their project from day one. While clear instructions empower Willmott Dixon and partners to assemble buildings in a quick, cost-effective manner, with minimal waste.
“With the support of Powerproject, Willmott Dixon has modernised its design and procurement processes, on-site deliveries and assembly services, which is allowing us to explore new opportunities in key markets. We’re revolutionising the way we run projects and aligning our services with the virtual world in which we’re working.”
The power behind successful projects: book a demo to experience Powerproject by Elecosoft.